Sunday, January 17, 2010

Faces of Death - Front Window

So this is a weird natural phenomena - for some reason the birds around my house like to commit seppuku by ramming into my windows and breaking their necks. There's nothing quite as disconcerting as seeing a flash out of the corner of your eye, followed by a thump - happens all the time in the clerestory and large picture windows of my house. Recently I noticed an interesting artifact produced by the bird strike - a "print" in the glass, I'm guessing of the natural fibers in the bird's feathers, adhering to the glass from the impact. I've started to photograph these as they're sort of a final image before the bird dies - morbid, yes but still rather facinating to me. Here's the first - this is the Front series of windows that look into the living room. I'm not sure of the bird species, as the corpse was long gone (frequently I have to do "clean up duty" and get to see the corpse - it's often still warm...) - one of the cats may have made a meal of this one (word of advice, don't let them eat birds unless you like cleaning up messy feather-filled vomit on the carpet - ugh).



The photo was taken on 01-07-2010 however it had been in the window for a couple of days.

-- John

No comments: